[PC-BSD Testing] Public Beta of PC-BSD Network Manager

Renato Flórido renatoflorido at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 04:14:16 PST 2007

Hi guys!

I am testing with a Marvell Yukon Gigabit NIC here.

I started by cleaning "/etc/rc.conf" as requested and installed the beta
network manager PBI.

After rebooting, I went on to install the nic driver.

I had to manually install the driver as it's not available in the default
system.

I got the FreeBSD driver from Marvell's site here:

 <http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=139&pId=35>
http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=139&pId=35

To install the driver I do the following:

First:

su - ENTER

Password: - ENTER

pkg_add /home/pcbsdusr/Desktop/mykbsd60x86-8.12.2.3.tar - ENTER

Next:

Edit /etc/rc.conf adding "myk" to the list NIC list as the network manager
doesn't see the Marvell NIC.

Next:

To load the the module on boot I add to /boot/loader.conf:

if_myk_load="YES"

Final step:

To load the kernel module by hand, type:

 kldload if_myk.ko

At this time, I tried to connect to the internet without success so I opened
the network manager.

It seems my NIC was not configured to go DHCP by default in the network
manager.

Shouldn't the default option be DHCP? Is this a problem with my setup only?

I solve this issue by selecting the DHCP option in the network manager and
restarting the network from the tray icon. (how can I reset the network from
within the manager?)

Keep up the excellent work!

Renato Flórido