[PC-BSD Testing] Public Beta of PC-BSD Network Manager 0.9.5

Renato Flórido renatoflorido at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 04:03:10 PST 2007

Further notes about the network manager:

About the DHCP issue:

The DBSD network manager has this entry on /etc/rc.conf just below the NIC
list

for i in $NIC; do
       eval ifconfig_${i}0="DHCP"
       eval ifconfig_${i}1="DHCP"

which I think sets all the devices for DHCP by default. If this is correct,
shouldn't we adopt this behaviour?

Another issue:

To open the network manager, we need admin privileges and we have to type
the root password so what do we need the administration mode for?

As I see it, we can do it either by allowing the users to open the network
manager without privileges (as users need to press the admin mode to work
with it) or remove the admin mode button from the GUI completely. Having to
type the password for every action (after having typed it for opening the
manager) is not needed and is rather annoying.