[PC-BSD Testing] Public Beta of PC-BSD Network Manager

Terry bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:19:25 PST 2007

I removed the suggested lines from my rc.conf file and rebooted to ensure,
to have a network connection.  I would ether need to get one from the
program or restore my backed up rc.conf.

The application successfully detected my Intel Pro/100 card (fxp0). It
also detected my DNS settings from resolv.conf and the systems host name
(where ever set not from rc.conf).

I proceeded with configuring fxp0. It looks good but on the Info tab, the
data scrolls _off_ the view. If I maximize the window, the traffic info
section was all funky (lots of empty space). See screen shot links at the
bottom. I think it might be a spacer problem, I'm not really familiar with
QT3... Un tested but I like the MAC/IPv6 options on the
configure->Advanced tab very much, to me it shows putting the end user
first.

My network uses DHCP, so I allowed it to use the obtain automatically
option :-) Which it did well getting an IP/Netmask set very quickly. I
didn't delete dhclient.leases.fxp0 of course but that shouldn't make any
difference if this GUI makes use of dhclient. I checked my rc.conf file
and the program only added one line: ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP".

If I had a PC used as a router or some spare NICS I'd screw with the
DSL/PPPoE section. You might consider using rc.conf as a 'GUI editable
only' file and rc.conf.local for hand configuration. What I mean, is
encourage rc.conf to *only* be edited by the PC-BSD System Administration
tools (newbie friendly GUI). And direct end users to edit rc.conf.local to
override any defaults or options set during the installation e.t.c. for
'advanced' users and sysadmins (Old style). For example if some one is
using the box as a server for service foo that lacks an on/off e.t.c. in
the Services Manager. They can turn it on in rc.conf.local _instead_ of
rc.conf and not shoot ya if rc.conf gets trashed by a GUI configuration
app. This way you could use tools like this to work with config files and
do system updates that touch the file, without fragging the end user :-)

> Kris Moore:
>
> Please report any bugs or issues with this beta
> here on the testing list. Of particular interest
> are PPPoE issues, and WiFi connections.

I have one system with a wireless connection. My laptop / workstation /
development platform. It is my only dedicated 'stable' machine. From what
I've seen of the beta PBI, I refuse to install this to test it. I'm sorry,
but no way! I am _NOT_ installing a PBI I have no 100% for sure way of
removing onto a stable system and thus risk potential upgrade pains. sorry
but while I'm happy to help. I'm not about to risk my Darling Dixie's
health for it.

>> Dragon Flyer:
>>
>> Installed fine (not found in the
>> PBI removal tool) ...

This PBI does not leave any thing I can see in /Programs, it does not
touch ProgList. i.e. /Programs/.config/ProgList - used AFAIK for the PBI
list in the Software manager. It is of course a 'special' case PBI.

See these links for what I mean about the info tab.

Info Tab out of 'View'
< http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network0hq9.jpg >
Info Tab full of blank space
< http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network1ia9.jpg >

The output of 'ifconfig fxp0' after using the program

# ifconfig fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        inet6 fe80::213:20ff:fee0:89f3%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 00:13:20:e0:89:f3
        status: active

Looks like things are coming along pretty good.

--
TerryP - Aka SAS_Spidey01
E-Mail: BigBoss64 at ippimail.com

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com