[PC-BSD Testing] Friday snapshot

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 22:44:24 PDT 2007

I have been playing with the Friday snapshot and have several
comments and one
problem.

First, I really like the new installation routine. It is the slickest
and
fastest I have used. It took me just under 15 minutes from the time I
started
booting from the CD to being up and running. And that includes
setting up the
video for my nVidia card.

But the video is the problem. I was able to select the nVidia driver
and give
it 24 bit 1600x1200 resolution which is the native resolution of my
monitor.
But when getting the desktop up the max resolution listed in the
settings is
1280x1024 and that is what it displays. The problem seems to be in the
xorg.config file that is generated. The setup does not seem to be
able to
correctly ID the monitor. The modeline generated is quite a bit
different
from the one in PC-BSD 1.3 which does use the proper resultion. So far
playing with the xorg.config has not resolved this problem.

1.3      ModeLine       "1600x1200" 280.6 1600 1728 1904 2208 1200
1201 1204
1271 -hsync +vsync

1.4    Modeline "1600x1200_60.00"  160.96  1600 1704 1880 2160  1200
1201 1204
1242  -HSync +Vsync

I have tried changing the modeline in 1.4 and it does boot up but the
resolution stays at 1280x1024. I should mention that I am hooked up to a
flatpanel using the DVI connector. The problem seems to lie in the HW
detection, but I am no expert on that.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I tried installing several PBI's and
it worked
just fine. A word of caution to anyone using nVidia. Do not try and
install
the nVidia driver with the PBI. It rendered my installation
unbootable.   :-)
What can I say, I was desperate. Use the Video setup during the
install and
boot process.

Computers can be fun again
              Format C:\