[PC-BSD Testing] ISO's back online

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Sat Jun 2 09:17:23 PDT 2007

Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> Ok, I'm done downloading the May-31 snapshot. I tried to install it on my
> desktop, when I have PC-BSD 1.3.x, but it won't install. When I see the
> "Start graphical install (1024x768)" option and hit "Enter", the numlock
> led blinks once, then the monitor shuts down. Then I tried one more time
> with ACPI disabled, and I get a fatal trap 9 error. Needless to say that I
> checked MD5, that I burnt by CD-RW at the minimal speed, and that I tried
> on 2 different CD-RWs. So, I can't install it on my desktop, but I least
> it didn't erase my former version of PC-BSD.
>
> Then I tried to install it on my laptop, and it installed properly :)
> The bugs that I reported that day are still here, and I saw a few more,
> plus a few annoyances. For instance I had to run fdisk, and I was missing
> a convenient GUI for fdisk. The license is only BSD; maybe it should also
> include the licences of nVidia, Opera, GPL and Adobe? (I'm not an expert
> in law!). I selected the French keyboard from the menu, and it didn't set
> it as such during installation; as a result, my password didn't work
> because I typed something different when I set it. KDM also is still using
> QWERTY instead of AZERTY even after choosing "fr" during installation.
>
> When loading PC-BSD off of the CD-ROM, there is always this line that says
> "acd0 FAILURE READ BIG illegal request", no matter what computer, CD
> player and CD-RW you use. I found the screen detector interesting,
> although a little rough around the edges because it take some time to kill
> X, and to come back; at some point you think it went wrong and that you
> should reboot your computer manually the hard way. Eventually, I don't
> have a 3D graphics card on my laptop, but still, I have the diamond icon
> is my system tray. So, obviously, trying to use it has no effect; maybe
> don't show it if no 3D hardware is detected?

Sounds like we got a lot to fix :) I found some other problems while
down at iXsystems also, the old nVidia driver is funky with certain
cards also. I get back home later tonight, and on Monday I'll spend the
entire week getting bugs fixed, before I start making more code changes
to the installer / components selector.

www.pcbsd.org