[PC-BSD Testing] 1.4 update not restoring user-installed apps

sc at sdf.lonestar.org sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Jul 28 13:23:43 PDT 2007

The 1.4 beta update wiped out all the apps that I'd installed in
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share and so on.

When using the Udpate/Repair option, the lengthy "restoring user data"
phase that occurred at the 99% finished mark didn't restore anything on my
system, as far as I can see. It took 2.5 hours of post-installation work
to restore everything by recompiling scads of things from the ports
collection.

Windows apps fared much better. After recompiling wine 0.9.41, all the
Windows apps worked with no further quibbles.

And all the programs installed in my personal /home/rclark/bin directory
survived the update. But none of the system-wide apps did. The update also
erased the vulnerability database for the ports collection, and many other
things that it shouldn't have messed with.

How can I avoid these problems?

Rod Clark