[PC-BSD Testing] Known boot-loader issue brought to light.

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jul 23 09:37:03 PDT 2007

Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In regards to the current boot loader used and a system with a Vista
> install.
>
> If a user wises to re size the Vista partition then dual boot the user
> maybe
> surprised to find Vista will fail to boot from the BSD boot loader with the
> following error message:
>
> "The file /Windows/system32/winload.exe can not be found or is corrupt."
>
> This is due to the BSD boot loader overwriting a UUID in the MBR the Vista
> OS uses to boot for some reason as it was not in the Beta or the RC.
>
> Is there any plan to use GRUB as the default boot loader anytime soon ?
> If so, could the Linux version of grub-install be used as this, I am told
> now does not delete the Unique Identifier that is kept in the MBR or could
> the current boot loader be patched up so solve this issue?
> I look forward to more testing of 1.4 :~)
>
> Best Regards,
> -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EdwardOcallaghan/WindowsVista
> Edward O'Callaghan.

Thanks for the info! Before we get crazy and start replacing core OS
functionality such as bootloaders, I want to give the guys over at FBSD
a shot at fixing this. I've taken your info here, and passed it on to
the folks who are working on 6-STABLE right now. Hopefully It's a simple
fix, and we can get it rolled into the final release :)

http://www.pcbsd.com