[PC-BSD Testing] Known boot-loader issue brought to light.

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:41:26 PDT 2007

Hey all,

In regards to the current boot loader used and a system with a Vista
install.

If a user wises to re size the Vista partition then dual boot the user maybe
surprised to find Vista will fail to boot from the BSD boot loader with the
following error message:

"The file /Windows/system32/winload.exe can not be found or is corrupt."

This is due to the BSD boot loader overwriting a UUID in the MBR the Vista
OS uses to boot for some reason as it was not in the Beta or the RC.

Is there any plan to use GRUB as the default boot loader anytime soon ?
If so, could the Linux version of grub-install be used as this, I am told
now does not delete the Unique Identifier that is kept in the MBR or could
the current boot loader be patched up so solve this issue?
I look forward to more testing of 1.4 :~)

Best Regards,
-
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EdwardOcallaghan/WindowsVista
Edward O'Callaghan.