[PC-BSD Testing] 1.4 Beta freezes on Xorg configuration in install

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Sun Jul 22 02:06:52 PDT 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007 1:54:36 am Daniel Sammut wrote:
> Here is an update on my progress:
>
> I can boot normally if I totally disable ACPI. I did this by putting
> the command:
>
> exec="unset acpi_load" in my /boot/loader.conf.
>
> Putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/device.hints did not work.
>
> I managed to successfully install the proprietry nvidia driver from
> ports and it is now working okay although Beryl does not work, perhaps
> there are some files or configurations missing.
>
> However, to get the nvidia driver to build, I had to download the
> kernel source files. I tried to use PCBSD System Manager for this.
> Fetching Ports using the System Manager works okay but 'Fetch System
> Source' does not work, it just sits there doing nothing. I tried to do
> it through Konsole which was when I noticed that cvsup was not
> installed. After I installed cvsup, the sources downloaded okay and
> 'Fetch System Source' from the PCBSD System Manager worked okay too.
>
> So, as a recap:
>
> 1. The latest NVidia driver builds and works if I use ports.
> 2. Beryl does not work for me, probably need some extra steps to get it
> working. 3. CVSup is not installed, which I presume prevents 'Fetch System
> Source' from working.

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it seems cvsup isn't on the BETA. Did you install the Nvidia 9746 driver
from ports whereas the 1.1001 driver from the BETA install wasn't working for
you?

Beryl doesn't work for me either but I have 3d acceleration with the new
1.1001 driver (but not the 9746). This is with the GO7300 on a laptop . It
appears there's some problem with Nvidia + Beryl in some instances. I'm not
sure if this is an Nvidia issue or a Beryl one.

Thanks for the update!
-matt