[PC-BSD Testing] 1.4 Beta freezes on Xorg configuration in install

Daniel Sammut danielsammut74 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 01:54:36 PDT 2007

Here is an update on my progress:

I can boot normally if I totally disable ACPI. I did this by putting
the command:

exec="unset acpi_load" in my /boot/loader.conf.

Putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/device.hints did not work.

I managed to successfully install the proprietry nvidia driver from
ports and it is now working okay although Beryl does not work, perhaps
there are some files or configurations missing.

However, to get the nvidia driver to build, I had to download the
kernel source files. I tried to use PCBSD System Manager for this.
Fetching Ports using the System Manager works okay but 'Fetch System
Source' does not work, it just sits there doing nothing. I tried to do
it through Konsole which was when I noticed that cvsup was not
installed. After I installed cvsup, the sources downloaded okay and
'Fetch System Source' from the PCBSD System Manager worked okay too.

So, as a recap:

1. The latest NVidia driver builds and works if I use ports.
2. Beryl does not work for me, probably need some extra steps to get it working.
3. CVSup is not installed, which I presume prevents 'Fetch System
Source' from working.