[PC-BSD Testing] 1.4 Beta freezes on Xorg configuration in install

Daniel Sammut danielsammut74 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 08:58:28 PDT 2007

Hi Kris and Charles,

Thanks for responding.

I'm having more problems now and I'm not quite sure if it is hardware or
software based.

Charles - in the bios, you can only select the Primary Graphics Adapter. The
choices are AGP, PCI or Onboard AGP. I have AGP selected, and it was this
setting when I installed 1.4 beta. There is no setting to turn off the
onboard adapter.

Kris - the whole thing locked dead. I could do nothing other than do a hard
reboot.

I managed to get around the problem by booting into safe mode. It
successfully went into the xorg configuration utility. I tried to use the
proprietry Nvidia drivers for my card but they would not work. The only
graphics driver I could use was the 'nv' one. Once that was selected,
everything worked and booted into the desktop.

However, now the power management features would not work. When I wanted to
reboot or turn off, it would wait after the 'uptime' message waiting to be
manually rebooted or turned off.

Here's the distressing thing. I decided to re-install version 1.3 for now
until perhaps it was a bit more stable. However, the acpi now does not work
on version 1.3 even though it worked perfectly before. Also, when I boot
version 1.3 would hang in the booting process, I can not bypass the splash
screen to see what stage it hangs. If I do a hard-reboot, it works okay.

I tried using a Kubuntu live CD for QParted to delete the partition,
re-format and then re-install version 1.3. It is still the same.

I have no idea what is happening!