[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9 results of two installs

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Jul 20 17:58:15 PDT 2007

> Installer
> 1.	I've been meaning to ask all along, in "timezone", where is "Currie"
> in Australia?

Not sure what you mean, Currie is listed, so you can choose it if need
be. Unless you mean +xxxx information, if you know what that is, let me
know and we'll get it added.

> 2.	It takes a lot longer to use the new installer GUI pages because
> there are more of them. I thought one of the big attractions of the
> previous one was its simplicity and lack of ambiguity. I realise a lot
> of thought has gone into it. Particularly the choice of adding stuff
> from disk 2 - maybe a better explanatory text before the choices are
> offered?

Technically there are less pages now, since the network / firewall stuff
has been removed to be run from the installed system. The only
additional page you may be referring to is the Component selection page,
which of course you can simply skip and click next :)

> I believe some techs might be reluctant, because of the increased
> complexity, in becoming familiar with the product, when you compare with
> not just Linux but the two earlier versions of this product. Indeed the
> press "raves" put the simplicity of it all as its major selling point.
>
> It has taken me a lot longer to look at this newest version, and I'm not
> sure I particularly like it.
>

> Post-install X Configuration
>
> 1.	Unlike 1.2 and 1.3 (and maybe 1.1, can't remember) which defaults to
> 1280x1024 which suits my graphics chip and monitors) it defaults to
> 1024x768. Someone who isn't aware may unintentionally accept the default.

1024x768 is simply the resolution we use for running the Xconfig GUI.
This was chosen because we found in a lot of cases that when the
auto-detect ran and tried to set some higher res, the monitor would go
to black with a "out of range" error. This was a even bigger problem,
because now a novice is stuck trying to figure out how to get a working
display by editing xorg.conf by hand :P

> 2.	I find that on my machine with the Via chipset and Athlon processor,
> it now fails to configure and run at any resolution at all, which makes
> it a pretty useless system for everyday use, for earning an income (if I
> were not retired).
> I also find that at least 50% of the time in changing to try another
> resolution, I need to reboot as a ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work to
> restore the setup menu.

I'm wondering if you could provide a bit more detail about this. When
you try to setup a new res and "test" it, where is it failing? What
specific video card is in these systems?

> 3.	As an observation, I wonder if the gaming fraternity have now the
> ears of the developers? I saw a comment about mouse resolution. I would
> have thought that a desktop version of FreeBSD would have aimed at
> inroads into the lucrative corporate environment rather than amusement.

I'm not sure I follow you here :P Increasing the mouse speed doesn't
really benefit the "gaming" community as far as I know :) Besides, its
just a click away to change the speed to something slower, or as a lot
of our users like to do, something faster.

> 1.	Seems a tad slower to boot, and needs Safe Mode (menu item 3) on both
> machines to make a proper fist of starting up.

What is making it fail when you run normally? Does regular FreeBSD have
the same issues where you have to always run in "Safe Mode"?

> 2.	Download software icon is missing from the desktop. I download the
> pbi's to a local repository that I want to use or think I want to use -
> so this doesn't affect me, but I wonder about people alreading using the
> product who might look for it.

Not sure what you are talking about here, its on all the desktops I've
installed lately :)

> 3.	Customising the login screen (which I have always done), 1.3 displays
> "Welcome to %n" correctly as "Welcome to computername" whereas this test
> ISO displays "Welcome to PCBSD" which may be an error in the version of
> KDE if ISO #18 is using a different KDE version than 1.3 and 1.31

This is indeed a newer version of KDE, but you can easily change the
greeting message in Settings -> System Admin -> Login Manager

> A very wierd one here...
> I have created a set of beastie icons from the 128x128 image found
> online somewhere, and substituting for kmenu.png in
> /usr/local/share/icons/crystal/<resolution size>/apps this works well -
> as always - including the two snapshots I tested. The beastie logo works
> on all users (I always create two users in testing).
>
> Now, when I also change login permissions to allow root GUI (performed
> in kdmrc) on the #18 test iso (and the one earlier I tried), the logo
> reverts to the KDE gearwheel as the menu image in *users* but the
> beastie stays in *root*! Icons in the icon directory remain "beastie".

Again, this could be a new KDE thing, you may need to also add the icons
to the other size directories, 64x64, 72x72, etc. My bet would be its
using one from another size.

http://www.pcbsd.com