[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 1.4 Test - Experiences

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jul 9 13:28:27 PDT 2007

Harshad Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Fresh Install
>
> I've been using PCBSD since 1.1, and have been very happy about the progress.
> The installer is superb, and it works nicely for me - with only one issue
> (since 1.1 till 1.4 latest test version as of 5 Jul 2007)
>
> The nvidia driver conflicts with the splash driver built into the kernel of
> PCBSD. I am unable to choose the graphics card since the driver does not
> start up. I have to recompile the kernel (which needs downloading the system
> source code) and last time I tried I was unable to locate/load the kernel
> module - which made me go fetch the ports for nvidia drivers and do another
> compile for the drivers before graphics worked well. This might be a FreeBSD
> specific issue - but it affects PCBSD more since the splash driver is
> compiled into the PCBSD kernel and is active since the first boot.
>
> This is a minor inconvenience for me, however I thought I should bring this to
> your notice. Here are the specs: I have a nVidia GeForce 6100 onboard
> graphics processor on a nForce 410 based motherboard.
>
> From dmesg:
> 	CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2069.52-MHz 686-class CPU)
> 	  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x40ff2  Stepping = 2
> 	real memory  = 1040121856 (991 MB)
> 	ACPI APIC Table: <Nvidia AWRDACPI>
> 	nvidia0: <GeForce 6100>
> 		mem 0xfb000000-0xfbffffff, 0xe0000000-0xefffffff, 0xfc0000
> 		00-0xfcffffff irq 16 at device 5.0 on pci0
> 	nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> 	pcm0: <nVidia nForce 410 MCP> port 0xdc00-0xdcff,0xd800-0xd8ff mem
> 		0xfe02c000-0x
> 		fe02cfff irq 20 at device 16.2 on pci0
> 	pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC655 AC97 Codec>
> 	sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
> 	sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
> 	vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
>
> If there is any information/assistance I can provide to solve this issue,
> please let me know.

Thanks for the notice! I wish you had let me know about this earlier, I
just spent most of my weekend on the same problem, and came to the same
conclusion. In tonight's ISO the VESA support in the kernel will be
disabled, until we can figure out why / how this is causing problems. It
might be something we need to let the FBSD devs know about. The downside
is we lose the splash screen, but the upside is you get a working desktop :)

> 2. Upgrade/Repair
>
> I installed 30 June snapshot and then decided to upgrade to 05 July snapshot
> instead of doing a fresh install. I had not tried this before - and I think a
> few things could be different. Only my opinions...
>
>   - Do not overwrite xorg.conf - for my machine, it takes quite some magic and
> a sacrificial ritual before xorg and nvidia drivers work. If I was not used
> to taking backups, I would have to sacrifice another IDE drive before things
> worked! :-P

I just checked and the script is setup to save copes if
/etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/xorg.cond to <file>.preUpgrade, can you
check if that file is indeed present on your system?

>   - All my pre-installed software is gone; which I understand is necessary
> because of the way shared libraries work. The software installed with PBIs
> remains, however the symlinks that glue it to the rest of the system are
> gone. I can run firefox with
>     /Programs/Firefox2.0.0.3/bin/firefox
> but not as
>     /usr/local/bin/firefox

This is correct, any sym-links in /usr/local are deleted when the system
is updated. Recent updates to the PBI creator has any desktop / kmenu
icons point directly to the /Programs/<PBI>/.bin folder though, so they
shouldn't be effected by an upgrade. We'll have to warn devs about this.

> - All source code and the ports tree is gone. I recently moved to broadband,
> so it is painless to download the full source code and ports tree all over
> again. But for those still on dialup it is quite a pain. Can we leave the
> ports tree and source code alone? Those who use it probably also know how to
> keep it up to date.

Good idea, I just fixed the source to save /usr/src and /usr/ports now
for you :) It should show up in tonight's ISO file. (Monday)

> - I could not find the firewall configuration. From the emails here, I see its
> not just me. Can we please have that config screen back? Or am I overlooking
> something?

I made a tactical decision to remove the network / FW tools from the
installer to streamline it, and also so we don't have to maintain two
sets of tools. If you look in the menus of your installed system, you
should see the new Firewall utility available under Start -> Settings ->
Internet & Network -> Firewall Manager. The new network / wifi manager
is also located in this directory.

These tools already provide way more functionality than what could be
offered during the installation, and hopefully they will grow as time
progresses.

> - The installation of extra packages is nice. I appreciate that a lot!

Glad you like it! You can also install / remove those components
post-install from the Settings -> Software & Updates -> Add / Remove
Software tool.

http://www.pcbsd.com