[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 1.4 Test - Experiences

Harshad Sharma harshad.sharma at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:18:54 PDT 2007

Hi,

1. Fresh Install

I've been using PCBSD since 1.1, and have been very happy about the progress.
The installer is superb, and it works nicely for me - with only one issue
(since 1.1 till 1.4 latest test version as of 5 Jul 2007)

The nvidia driver conflicts with the splash driver built into the kernel of
PCBSD. I am unable to choose the graphics card since the driver does not
start up. I have to recompile the kernel (which needs downloading the system
source code) and last time I tried I was unable to locate/load the kernel
module - which made me go fetch the ports for nvidia drivers and do another
compile for the drivers before graphics worked well. This might be a FreeBSD
specific issue - but it affects PCBSD more since the splash driver is
compiled into the PCBSD kernel and is active since the first boot.

This is a minor inconvenience for me, however I thought I should bring this to
your notice. Here are the specs: I have a nVidia GeForce 6100 onboard
graphics processor on a nForce 410 based motherboard.