[PC-BSD Testing] [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] July 3rd Iso report

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Jul 5 12:59:08 PDT 2007

> On Thursday, 5. July 2007 18:35:53 Kris Moore wrote:
>>> ð      The GF8800GTX is still not working.
> Have you tried with "X -configure"?

This is a weird problem, getting X to work isn't the issue, its after
you close X, it crashes bad :( I've never seen anything else like it.
Hes basically got a problem where he only can run X once, before having
to reboot :(

>>> ð      In this version of the installer, the user can’t choose the
>>> Hostname for his machine.
>> Correct, network setup is all done post-install now.
>>
> Pre-installation configuration was highly welcomed feature in previous
> PC-BSDs- why it is banned now and where is Firewall? Box should be configured
> and secured before first boot IMHO.

I would like to enable the FW for first boot, and will set it up to do
so here in one of the next ISO's.

>>> ð      The clock is 1 hour ahead of the (correct) time displayed in the
>>> Bios
>> What timezone is your BIOS clock set to, and what TZ is the system set
>> to? Run the "date" command.
>>
> I guess we should start using GMT time + local time for PC-BSD or else all
> dual-booters will have wrong time in Windows.

GMT + localtime? How or where do you set that? Also, I only have issues
when ntpd is enabled. Is it something in there that needs fixing?

> Kris where's the ncurses menu code for installcd- I want to use it for livecd
> also. How to compile xorg detector- I want to test it on livecd- then users
> can check it out before messing with already working PC-BSD installations.

Here you go: (It was in mfsroot image)

http://www.pcbsd.org/~kris/pcbsdcurses.tar

As for xorg detector, if you want to compile it, get the XGUIsource from
svn and do this:

# qmake *.pro
# make

Also you'll need the /PCBSD/xorg-gui directory structure in place to
have it run properly. Recently I've added a small "pdm" script to run in
place of "kdm". Its in /PCBSD/bin/pdm, you may want to take a look at
it. Thats what lets me have the user run the X selector tool again,
without having to reboot at all.

http://www.pcbsd.com