[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 1.4.1.1 won't update on-line. It quits after 87% of the file download.

Jeff Colter jeff.colter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:08:49 PST 2007

PCBSD 1.4.1.1 won't update on-line. It quits after 87% of the file download.

My /tmp directory had 700MB to play with - shouldn't that be enough for a
300MB patch?

I then tried to symlink /tmp to /var/tmp which is on its own much larger
partition, but it wouldn't work - guess you can't symlink two existing
directories.

Then tried to temporarily delete /tmp to recreate it with  ln -s /var/tmp
/tmp  so that anything written to /tmp would actually get written to
/var/tmp.

Tried to delete or rename /tmp but no go. Even after emptying /tmp it won't
let me delete it - says "device busy".  It won't let me rename it either,
since it's a mount point.

I then gave up and manually updated by downloading the .pbi to my home
directory which is on /usr/home and is huge, and executed the .pbi from
there.

Anyone have a clue why 700MB isn't enough room, or at least know how to
symlink existing directories?

Tnx, Jeff