[PC-BSD Testing] snapshot 29.August

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Aug 29 11:52:41 PDT 2007

Widen-Damian Ivanov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> just some notes from me about the latest snapshot
> 1.PC-BSD 1.4 - Best OS ever
> 2.Some apps (e.g. amaroK) still can´t find their internal icons (like play, stop)

I'll take a look at this, is it that the icons don't show up at all, or
are just using the wrong ones?

> 3. I am unable to run apps using X as root from Konsole
>     " [root at pcbsd /]# konqueror
>       Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>       Xlib: No protocol specified
>       konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>       [root at pcbsd /]#"

Thats normal security actually.

Simply run "xhost +" from your user account first to allow other users
to start X apps.

> 4. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro from Cybis - in 1.4 there is an option     ati-3D-enable (enables the dri extension in xorg.conf) but I do not get 3D acceleration. In 1.3.4 I was able to play games like ActionCube at about 64 fps but in 1.4 Snapshots till 20th August it starts with 1-2 fps and in the actual snapshot it hangs the system.

I've got a 9600 PRO here also, and it won't work with DRI enabled
anymore either :( Haven't found a way around it yet. I think something
in the update to Xorg 7.2 broke it. I'll play around with it a bit more
here though before 1.4-Final is out, and see if I can't find a way to
get it working again.

> 5. The Display Wizard finds only 60HZ refresh rate at 1280x1024 - my Monitor supports 85HZ at 1280x1024

Are you running with a LCD and DVI cable? If so, then that is normal
from what I've seen. However, if using CRT with a VGA, then you may need
to specify your horz-vert refresh rates in the "advanced" tab for it to
work.

http://www.pcbsd.com