[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Failure report

William Vann ireclan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:27:34 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Vann <ireclan at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 28, 2007 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Failure report
To: testing at lists.pcbsd
Cc: kris at pcbsd.com

On 8/28/07, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > benefit of all. Really, you guys (gals?) are among those in this world
> that
> > actually give a sh*t (if I may be so blunt), and for that you have
> earned my
> > loyalty."
>
> We're glad to have you as a user! Let us know when you run into any more
> issues so we can make this the best OS it can be :)
>

> > In addition to the problems listed above, I've more to report that I
> either
> > recently discovered or forgot to report the first time around. These
> are:
> >
> > *'/etc/ppp/options' bug (the file '/etc/ppp/options' is still apparently
> > missing in action from the last release. This does not become a problem
> > until one completes the dialing process with KPPP, at which point PPPD
> > crashes. Creating a blank file named "options" in the appropriate
> directory
> > seems to remedy this, but I am unsure if this is the best fix.
>
> I've added this blank "options" file to the default, since it seems to
> fix your crashing anyway :)
>
> > *Manually adding IP addresses to '/etc/resolv.conf' (I still have to
> edit
> > resolv.conf manually with two IP addresses (presumably they are my
> ISP's) to
> > get any dial-up internet. While I have been told their is a graphical
> way to
> > do this in KPPP, I have been unable to find the correct dialog to do
> this.
> > The reason I still put this down as a failure of the operating system is
> > that on Ubuntu, I never had to provide any IP addresses. They are
> apparently
> > resolved automagically using an unknown process by GNOME PPP. Is it
> possible
> > to get this behavior in KPPP?)
>
> I'm not sure what to tell you here, since none of us are on dial-up its
> hard to test with KPPP properly :( However, you can change the DNS IP's
> in resolve.conf via the "Network Manager" pretty easily:
>
> KMenu -> Settings -> Internet & Network ->  Network Settings
>
> > *Random font distortion at boot-up (some fonts, namely those of Klipper
> and
> > the "Log Out" screen, are unreasonably small. This problem appears
> randomly.
> > There is no apparent remedy save rebooting the system and hoping that
> that
> > time around they will return to normal.)
> >

> I'll keep an eye on this one, I haven't noticed it here, maybe its
> something in KDE going berserk?
>
> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

"This is correct, at this time I'm not aware of any functional MIDI support
in FreeBSD. Even the extra Open Sound System package doesn't have working
MIDI at this point. However, when it becomes available, we'll be sure to add

How unfortunate. Do you know if anything's being done to remedy this by
anyone else in the BSD world?

"For the CD2 stuff we tried to cover the basic programs, IRC is a bit more
specialized, so its best left to PBIDir :)

http://www.pbidir.com/search.php?str=konversation"

I disagree, since IRC is a part of your technical support backbone (along
with mailing lists and the forum) it makes perfect sense to provide an easy
route to get help. But this is your call, not mine.

"That is strange, can you provide a bit more details? Which driver, video
card, monitor, etc? :)"

Well, I use integrated graphics by Intel, and the chipset goes under the
name of "i810" for reference purposes. My monitor is a CRT by HP, and it
goes under the name of "vx74" (at least, that's what it has written on it, I
can't begin to tell you if that's its "internal" name).

"I'm going to see if I can get HPLIP added here, we are prepping the
1.4RCISO for this week, and we'll get that included for you."

Thank you very much.;D

"We're glad to have you as a user! Let us know when you run into any more
issues so we can make this the best OS it can be :)"

Will do.

"I've added this blank "options" file to the default, since it seems to fix
your crashing anyway :)"

Again, thank you.

"I'm not sure what to tell you here, since none of us are on dial-up its
hard to test with KPPP properly :( However, you can change the DNS IP's in
resolve.conf via the "Network Manager" pretty easily:

KMenu -> Settings -> Internet & Network ->  Network Settings"

I understand the difficulties. I just thought it would be a nice feature to
have.

"I'll keep an eye on this one, I haven't noticed it here, maybe its
something in KDE going berserk?"

I have a theory that this and my resolution difficulties are probably
related. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you guys much...

I find myself saddened by the fact that I won't be able to tell you whether
your "fixes" are effective or not until the actual final release, since I
myself cannot download an ISO due to my unfortunate dependence on dial-up
and the only deal I worked out with one Matt Olander was getting the FINAL
releases for free.

Good day,
IRECLAN