[PC-BSD Testing] Failure report

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Aug 28 13:08:43 PDT 2007

William,

Thanks for the feedback! My responses are below:

William Vann wrote:
> I was asked by the developer Charles Andre to post my failure report
> regarding the latest snapshot to the "Beta Testing" mailing list. Here is
> the original forum message:
>
> "Well, I just got a chance to try the latest snapshot of 1.4, and I must
> say, it's a bit of an improvement over 1.3. I just wanted to take this
> opportunity to point out some successes and failures I've had using this
> latest snapshot.
>
> SUCCESS
>
> *Optional Components (KOffice and K3B were very appreciated)
>
> *No more errors from HAL regarding my card reader
>
> *New logo and codename ( I absolutely dig the 1.4's new name, and while the
> new logo isn't what I would have ultimately gone with, it's better than
> using someone else's)
>
> *The other media visualizations work in Kaffeine
>
> FAILURES
>
> * No MIDI support out of the box (Amarok refuses to play with "Media
> unplayable" message, KMid refuses with "Could not open /dev/sequencer"
> message)

This is correct, at this time I'm not aware of any functional MIDI
support in FreeBSD. Even the extra Open Sound System package doesn't
have working MIDI at this point. However, when it becomes available,
we'll be sure to add it :)

> *No Konversation in optional components (if this is a part of your official
> support line, please make it easier to access, as KSirc just doesn't cut it)

For the CD2 stuff we tried to cover the basic programs, IRC is a bit
more specialized, so its best left to PBIDir :)

http://www.pbidir.com/search.php?str=konversation

> * Weird resolution detection (mine is stuck at 1152 X 768. Changing to 1024
> X 768 causes a black screen from which there is no recovery other than
> restarting the computer, at which point the resolution is STILL at the odd
> 1152 X 768)

That is strange, can you provide a bit more details? Which driver, video
card, monitor, etc? :)

> * No out of the box printer support (mine is supported, you guys just
> haven't preincluded the drivers- HPIJS or HPLIP, take your pick- for it. The
> drivers are most likely small enough, so please include them)

I'm going to see if I can get HPLIP added here, we are prepping the
1.4RC ISO for this week, and we'll get that included for you.

> * Konsole bug (When attempting to give a root session of Konsole and a
> regular session of Konsole different backgrounds, the regular session
> becomes stuck in root session. From then on, using the regular session
> command will always produce behavior as if you had started a "su" session of
> Konsole. You guys might want to forward this bug upstream)

Yep, sounds like a Konsole bug :) It may already be fixed for KDE4, but
you can always report it here: http://bugs.kde.org/

> Additionally, I would like to add that my Internet crashes appear to have
> stopped, but I didn't add this to the successes because I can't absolutely
> confirm. I know my list includes more bad than good, but please don't take
> this as a sign that your work is bad or that I am in any way displeased with
> it. As someone who recently dabbled in Python, I can appreciate how hard it
> is to get a computer to do ANYTHING, let alone what you want it to. That is
> why, rather than ending on a note of criticism, I would like to instead
> thank all the PC-BSD developers for giving up their spare time for the
> benefit of all. Really, you guys (gals?) are among those in this world that
> actually give a sh*t (if I may be so blunt), and for that you have earned my
> loyalty."

We're glad to have you as a user! Let us know when you run into any more
issues so we can make this the best OS it can be :)

> In addition to the problems listed above, I've more to report that I either
> recently discovered or forgot to report the first time around. These are:
>
> *'/etc/ppp/options' bug (the file '/etc/ppp/options' is still apparently
> missing in action from the last release. This does not become a problem
> until one completes the dialing process with KPPP, at which point PPPD
> crashes. Creating a blank file named "options" in the appropriate directory
> seems to remedy this, but I am unsure if this is the best fix.

I've added this blank "options" file to the default, since it seems to
fix your crashing anyway :)

> *Manually adding IP addresses to '/etc/resolv.conf' (I still have to edit
> resolv.conf manually with two IP addresses (presumably they are my ISP's) to
> get any dial-up internet. While I have been told their is a graphical way to
> do this in KPPP, I have been unable to find the correct dialog to do this.
> The reason I still put this down as a failure of the operating system is
> that on Ubuntu, I never had to provide any IP addresses. They are apparently
> resolved automagically using an unknown process by GNOME PPP. Is it possible
> to get this behavior in KPPP?)

I'm not sure what to tell you here, since none of us are on dial-up its
hard to test with KPPP properly :( However, you can change the DNS IP's
in resolve.conf via the "Network Manager" pretty easily:

KMenu -> Settings -> Internet & Network ->  Network Settings

> *Random font distortion at boot-up (some fonts, namely those of Klipper and
> the "Log Out" screen, are unreasonably small. This problem appears randomly.
> There is no apparent remedy save rebooting the system and hoping that that
> time around they will return to normal.)

I'll keep an eye on this one, I haven't noticed it here, maybe its
something in KDE going berserk?

http://www.pcbsd.com