[PC-BSD Testing] 20th August Iso report

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Aug 23 14:24:12 PDT 2007

Renato Flórido wrote:

> Installer:
>

> *      When X starts the default resolution appears to be incorrect as the
> usual X starting pardon is somewhat distorted with vertical and horizontal
> lines appearing. Also, the screen is offset to the top left corner of the
> screen as well as the installer window.

This is on your nvidia card right? There is a bug / feature with the
"nv" driver in Xorg which causes it to just ignore the set resolution
and use the monitor default instead :( That being said, there is an
update to the 'nv' source which may fix this now. I'll try to get it
added here soon.

> *      Installer fonts seem to be washed out

Probably releated to above :)

> *      The screen resolution app should list resolutions from smaller values
> to greater values as well as from smaller screen sizes to larger ones.
> Example: 640x480>720x480>720x576>800x600>848x480>960x600>1024x768… etc.

Well, we list 1024x768 as the minimum resolution for PC-BSD 1.4, and the
installer requires that as well. Thats why I don't list the lower res's
right now :)

> System:
>

> *      The new system menu icon needs some graphical love in order to look
> better than the previous ‘BSD’ icon. Some ‘glow’ effect should improve the
> icon.

This is personal taste, but if somebody touches up the logo a tad,
that's cool also :)

> *      Application and file manager windows are opening on the top left
> corner of the screen (when using the default Kwin window manager). They
> should be opening on the centre of the screen. This is rather annoying…

Good idea! I fixed this for you!

> *      If the user chooses to install OpenOffice, the system menu icons are
> not contained in a dedicated “OpenOffice” sub menu as other installed PBIs.
> They should be for consistency.

You'll want to contact the PBI dev for OO. Thats a preference thing that
the developer for whatever reason decided to do.

> *      If the user chooses to install KOffice, the system menu icons are not
> contained in a dedicated “KOffice” sub menu as other installed PBIs. They
> should be for consistency.

All the various KDE packages, Games, Koffice, Kdev, etc are just the
regular system packages which get added, not PBI's. As such they will
work a bit differently, and integrate into the OS itself. They are also
not listed in the PBI removal tool, but add / remove components instead.

> *      When the user selects a language rather than English, apps should be
> installed in that language automatically. (OpenOffice, Opera, etc…) Having
> warnings to change to the right language after the installation has taken
> place tastes like a hack and is bad for PR.

This is a weird one. Since those apps are PBI's, the PBI devs will have
to set them up to be "language" aware. Also, the app itself will
probably have a role to play in this as well. So far I've only seen an
English version of Opera for BSD, not sure if they have others available.

> *      The issue with HAL and fat/fat32 partitions remains. This is a big
> one. Maybe we could ask someone that takes care of HAL to try and fix this.
> This is ugly…

There is an updated version of HAL available here:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/dist/

I just e-mailed the maintainer to ask if they plan on updating that soon.

> *      The ‘Win’ key doesn’t open the system menu. This should be simple to
> fix and feels nice when working.

Humm, it works just fine here and on all the keyboards I've tested. What
keyboard / layout are you using? You may need to tweak the
~.kde/env/win-key.sh script to change your keycode.

> *      Do we need both Kfaxview and Kfax?

No we don't, removed the kfax from the "More" menu :)

> *      Using Konqueror as browser, while trying to download PBIs the browser
> tries to open the file in text mode instead of saving it

That only happens when you click a PBI link in the forum, and it tries
to open it in a new Window. I haven't found a fix for it yet, its
something internal to Konq I think :(

> System:
> *      The firewall app should open as user and then have an admin mode
> button for consistency with the network manager.

I'm not sure I agree. The FW manager doesn't really have a lot of useful
functionality unless run as root, where as the network manager does.

> Network Manager System tray icon:
>

> *      Double-clicking over the network manager system tray icon should
> start the network manager in user mode (like opening it from the system
> menu) instead of prompting the user for the admin password.

I have it set that when you double click, it brings up the settings for
that specific NIC, not the whole network manager right now. But your
idea is good, so I've changed that :)

> *      Clicking once over the network manager system tray icon should have
> the same effect as double-clicking as no function exists for this right now.
> In the future, it should open some kind of network usage meter for example.

That'll probably have to be added. We should put this down for the next
update to the tool.

> *      When right-clicking the network manager system tray icon there should
> be an option to disable or enable the tray icon in the resulting menu.

There is a "quit" icon which does the same thing. Its not possible to
add an "enable" icon, since there would be nothing to right-click on if
it wasn't enabled :)

> Network Manager:
>

> *      When using the network manager in user mode, it is possible to enable
> the system tray icon option without pressing OK to set it up. It should
> either need the ‘OK’ or the ‘OK’ should be greyed out or simply vanish in
> user mode.

 I liked the idea of the "instant" enable, but we'll have to look into
this.

> *      When using the network manager in user mode, the configure button
> should be greyed out. If the user has to go onto admin mode, why a second
> path?

Again, I'll take a peak at this.

> *      The network manager appears to take quite a while to refresh
> graphically after changes occur.

It was set to refresh every 6 seconds, I've changed that to 3 now.

> *      The option to enable the network manager system tray icon should be
> available as well under the admin mode.

I would like to do so, but haven't found a good way yet. I was having
issues with it being run as root, while KDE wanted the app run as user,
and "su" was acting weird :)

> *      There should be a button to return to user mode from the admin mode

Not sure if the kcontrol framework has this. Tim?

> *      In advanced mode, only the button ‘configure’ appears under the
> device window but if the user right-clicks the network device icon, four
> options appear on a menu: Configure/device info/disable/restart network. It
> would make much more sense to shorten the white device window a bit to the
> left and place four buttons for those options which were hidden away under
> the right click menu. The options would then be visible and the app much
> more user friendly. It appears as this app has most of its functionality
> hidden right now. Right clicking could maintain the same behaviour.

We'll have to add this to the next update :)

> PBI update check manager:
>

> *      The PBI update check manager should be merged with the add/remove
> programs manager. Just open both apps and look at them. It’s logical.

This will be something we do for the next release, already on my list.

> Add/remove software manager:
>

> *      The Add/remove software manager should open as user and then have an
> admin mode button for consistency with the network manager.

Good idea! Again, we should do this in next release with more of our tools.

> Well, that’s all for today. This took me quite a while to check and write so
> I’d be very thankful if this was read instead of forgotten.

It wasn't forgotten, its helpful for me to get lists like this, it
allows me to start going through and fixing things, or scheduling
updates for future releases :)

http://www.pcbsd.com