[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade/Install and CD#2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Aug 23 12:21:37 PDT 2007

> FreeBSD is API compatable in major version numbers.  Upgrading the
> base FreeBSD system isn't going to break ports or packages until you
> move to 7.0
>
> All you should need to do to preserve ports and packages across an
> upgrade is to preserve /usr/local and /var/db/pkg

> !DSPAM:1,46cddc2820761522640642!

I guess my question then would be what happens to all the old entries in
/var/db/pkg? If we save it, then re-extract the system image, a whole
bunch of new enteries will be extracted, and the old ones will also be
left in. Now we got old and new entries of the same ports listed in the
package DB right? It would work, but will leave rather a mess for the
user to clean up afterwards, assuming they want to use ports.

http://www.pcbsd.com