[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade/Install and CD#2

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Thu Aug 23 11:25:38 PDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 10:37 am, Kris Moore wrote:
> The backing up of the home into a tarball isn't done anymore in 1.4 DEV,
> so space concerns shouldn't be an issue. Now it simply moves the files /
> directories to a tmp location, and just moves them back at the end of
> the upgrade process.
>
> As for keeping ports / packages, here my reasoning on this:
>
> When we release a new version of PC-BSD, we often have a new version of
> the world environment, along with a new set of default ports / packages.
> If a user on their 1.3 system, goes through and starting adding tons of
> new packages / ports, they are no longer running on a standard PC-BSD
> build, and should probably not try to upgrade. When I upgrade the world
> / ports base, the odds are extremely high, that if we keep your existing
>  "extra" ports, it will break almost all of them. All their various
> required depends will be messed up, causing an even bigger mess to clean
> up, rather than just adding your ports back again.

Well, why don't we just keep /usr/local? Sure, any ports created that are
linked against something that is upgraded in base will break but many of them
will not break. Also, this will preserve config files in /usr/local/etc.

Josh, can you take a look at the DEV upgrade tools and give us some feedback?
I think there's a good way to do this.

Kris, how does upgrade work now?

-matt

--