[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade/Install and CD#2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Aug 23 10:37:36 PDT 2007

Matt Olander wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2007 12:49 pm, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>>> Is Josh or John Hixson on this list? I'd be interested in hearing ideas
>>> to improve upgrading. For larger installations, not keeping
>>> ports/packages across an upgrade is extremely unpleasant :/
>>>
>>> -matt
>> Especially for users on dial-up and slow/costly internet connections. Ports
>> tree should stay intact- whatever version it has. Upgrading ports with csup
>> or portsnap will be 100x faster.
>>
>> And I still don't get the idea about backing up user files in home folder?
>> What the point- all files would be on same folder later anyway... Back up
>> only KDE and apps configurations. PBI- installations should work after any
>> upgrade path (installcd/online)- if not then PBI is bad/**** and should be
>> banned from pbidir.com.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. What's the point of backing up home
> directories? You mean just overwrite them!?
>
> -matt

The backing up of the home into a tarball isn't done anymore in 1.4 DEV,
so space concerns shouldn't be an issue. Now it simply moves the files /
directories to a tmp location, and just moves them back at the end of
the upgrade process.

As for keeping ports / packages, here my reasoning on this:

When we release a new version of PC-BSD, we often have a new version of
the world environment, along with a new set of default ports / packages.
If a user on their 1.3 system, goes through and starting adding tons of
new packages / ports, they are no longer running on a standard PC-BSD
build, and should probably not try to upgrade. When I upgrade the world
/ ports base, the odds are extremely high, that if we keep your existing
 "extra" ports, it will break almost all of them. All their various
required depends will be messed up, causing an even bigger mess to clean
up, rather than just adding your ports back again.

That being said, we are now trying to make every effort to preserve the
PBIs installed during an upgrade, and now in the 1.4DEV it is working a
lot better. Any sym-links will be backed up and restored, etc. We are
also going to work with PBI devs to ensure that their apps are portable
across upgrades down the road.

http://www.pcbsd.com