[PC-BSD Testing] Sendmail running by default - why?

sc at sdf.lonestar.org sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Aug 22 13:53:07 PDT 2007

While debugging someone's non-working form processor script today, I ran
it at the command line to see the error output. And was surprised to
receive an automated e-mail back from the guy's domain saying that his
mail server had rejected mail sent by the script, per request from Comcast
to block mail from their address block not sent through their own servers.
I don't use Comcast's mail servers, but until PC-BSD did it for me I also
wasn't running sendmail on my desktop, and I've turned it off.

This seems questionable. I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD, but for a
desktop system isn't it more reasonable to turn off sendmail by default?
Give people a setup option to turn it on, if they really need it.

-rsc