[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade/Install and CD#2

Andrei Kolu antik at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 22 12:49:22 PDT 2007

Wednesday 22 August 2007 22:27:16 kirjutas Matt Olander:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2007 12:20 pm, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:11:51 -0300, Terry Poulin <bigboss64 at ippimail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I think it might even have did some thing to
> > > the  ports tree on my system.
> >
> > The ports, the port tree and the packages are not kept after a system
> > upgrade.
>
> Is Josh or John Hixson on this list? I'd be interested in hearing ideas to
> improve upgrading. For larger installations, not keeping ports/packages
> across an upgrade is extremely unpleasant :/
>
> -matt

Especially for users on dial-up and slow/costly internet connections. Ports
tree should stay intact- whatever version it has. Upgrading ports with csup
or portsnap will be 100x faster.

And I still don't get the idea about backing up user files in home folder?
What the point- all files would be on same folder later anyway... Back up
only KDE and apps configurations. PBI- installations should work after any
upgrade path (installcd/online)- if not then PBI is bad/**** and should be
banned from pbidir.com.

IMHO
Andrei