[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade/Install and CD#2

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Wed Aug 22 12:15:28 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 12:11 pm, Terry Poulin wrote:
> > From: sc at sdf.lonestar.org
> > Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Suggestion: For the Upgrade/Restore mode
> > To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> >
> > In an update with an earlier snapshot, the userdata.tgz file that it
> > created was 9 GB. After reinstalling some things, I looked in it and
> > found many other items that I actually didn't need or want to save across
> > the upgrade. But it took several hours to create during the update
> > process. I don't recall everything that was in it, but I had tried
> > installing a lot of Windows apps with Wine just to fool around with that,
> > and they installed huge horrible gobs of goo in my personal directory.
> > Maybe that was one reason why the file was so large. And almost all of
> > that was basically detritus.
> >
> > Because of the unexpectedly long time involved, I'd like to see the
> > installer present a list of checkboxes of things that it finds that it
> > plans to save in userdata.tgz, so that I could pick those that made
> > sense.
> >
> > And then give the user beforehand a rough estimate of the time it will
> > take. Otherwise this can soak up hours of time, which comes as a
> > surprise.
> >
> > -rsc
>
> I think it's huge because it includes the home directories, PBI Software,
> and parts of the KDE Configuration. I think it might even have did some
> thing to the  ports tree on my system.

Yes! I had 30GB of music in my home dir and I thought the upgrade wasn't
working until I checked drive activity. I believe Kris is working on the
update mechanism.

> By the way, did any one ever fix the thing about installing the FreeBSD
> sources from CD#2?

What's wrong with that? It seemed to work ok for me.

-matt

--
Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source"  http://www.iXsystems.com