[PC-BSD Testing] Suggestion: For the Upgrade/Restore mode

sc at sdf.lonestar.org sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Aug 22 08:19:58 PDT 2007

In an update with an earlier snapshot, the userdata.tgz file that it
created was 9 GB. After reinstalling some things, I looked in it and found
many other items that I actually didn't need or want to save across the
upgrade. But it took several hours to create during the update process. I
don't recall everything that was in it, but I had tried installing a lot
of Windows apps with Wine just to fool around with that, and they
installed huge horrible gobs of goo in my personal directory. Maybe that
was one reason why the file was so large. And almost all of that was
basically detritus.

Because of the unexpectedly long time involved, I'd like to see the
installer present a list of checkboxes of things that it finds that it
plans to save in userdata.tgz, so that I could pick those that made sense.

And then give the user beforehand a rough estimate of the time it will
take. Otherwise this can soak up hours of time, which comes as a surprise.

-rsc