[PC-BSD Testing] MP3 Decoder/Encoder software

Terry Poulin bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:32:19 PDT 2007

>> Considering that trying to make an MP3 Encoder gets any one into a legal
>> ruckus in the US and probably any where that supports Software Patents,
>> it's probably unlikely that we will see any support for creating mp3 files
>> in BSD/GNU/Linux based OSes by default until another 4-5 years minimal :@
>>

>> It would be great if enabling/Installing an MP3 Encoder was easy on PC-BSD
>> hehehe. MP3 may be getting out dated but it's a bit more friendly to
>> portable CD Players supporting CDDA and MP3 ;-)
>>
>> TerryP.
>>
> For what it's worth, I've used the Audacity sound editor on several
> platforms for several years.
>
> This will read (decode) mp3 files without a problem.
>
> However to create an mp3 file it requires the liblame library regardless
> of what system it's running on.
>
> It is freely available and I wonder if this would resolve this issue?
>
> Richard in Oz
> Where none of the roads are yellow brick :)

As far as I know, the creeps claiming any patents on MP3 they can dare to.
Havn't taken any action against people trying to write an MP3 Decoder -- Why
should they? Making it easier for people to play MP3 would increase the value
of their patents. Although I'm sure they would reserve the right to do so.

Yet, I think they have badgered people writing MP3 Encoders in the past
claiming they need a license from them to do it. Now this is just what I've
seen/read, I doubt it's up to date and it's definably not sound legal advise.

I'm not sure if I know of any libraries that offer only MP3 Playback \:/

Also, < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME#Legal_issues >

> Thanks both of you for your replies. I actually don't need to use K3b
> in this manner. The reason I posted was because i have not had this
> happen on any of the other 1.4 beta versions I have been testing.
> Something must have changed in the Friday snapshot to cause this to
> happen. Anyway, it will be fun to see what the Monday snapshot brings.
>

> Bill Leeper

Hopefully the developers keep good notes when they change things hehehe ;-)

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com