[PC-BSD Testing] Friday snapshot

Terry Poulin bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:53:56 PDT 2007

> From: Bill Leeper <protagonist at charter.net>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] Friday snapshot
> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> First the good news. I have got to say the installer is the best I have
> ever used and I have used a lot of them. From booting off the CD,
> installing the OS, and installing almost all the programs on the second
> CD, including the ports took right at 20 minutes. Na that includes the
> time to configure the video card and boot into a usable desktop.
>
> After that I had a couple of problems but part of that may have been my
> fault. When I attempted to run K3b a small black copyright box appeared
> in the middle of the screen and the application title in the task bar
> had a spinning hour glass which eventually went away and left the box in
> the middle of the screen.     (     (c) 1999-2007, Sebastian Trug    )
> I logged out and back in to get rid of the box and tried it again with
> the same result.
>
> Apparently it was looking for codecs which I finally figured out by
> leaving it alone for a few minutes. It then popped up a message:
>                 System Configuration problem
>                 mp3 Audio Decoder Plugin not found
>
> K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you
> will not be able to create Audio CD's from Mp3 files. Many Linux
> distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
> Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding
> library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may
> already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some
> distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update
> tool (i.e. SuSE's YOU).
>
> I have not seen this in any of the previous beta versions. On the plus
> side Amarok works flawlessly.
>

> One last comment. When I logged out and back in I left the USB flash
> drive plugged in. When I attempted to unmount it I got an error message
> saying it couldn't be unmounted. When I unplugged it my mouse froze and
> while attempting to close out the window with the keyboard it reset the
> computer instead.   :-)   I will attempt to duplicate the problem this
> evening if I get a chance. All in all, though, I am very satisfied with
> the beta. I don't even boot into my V1.3 drive anymore I just use the
> beta.
>
> Bill Leeper

While I'm not really familiar with K3B, the MP3 Decoder should only be
necessary unless it supports ripping CD's to MP3 files. A portupgrade
could probably be done on libmad by the end user. But it would be very
nice to see support in the All Codecs PBI for K3B if not all ready done.

Amarok, Kaffeine, and MPlayer make use of the MPlayer codecs installed
into /usr/local/lib/win32 by the AllCodecs PBI, which is just a wrapper on
the all-YYYYMMDD tarballs on MPlayers website. Thus any program using the
Xine Engine (Amarok/Kaffeine) or MPlayer can basically handle playback of
MP3 files with these codecs installed. I don't know if that allows
mencoder to create mp3 files or not though.

Considering that trying to make an MP3 Encoder gets any one into a legal
ruckus in the US and probably any where that supports Software Patents,
it's probably unlikely that we will see any support for creating mp3 files
in BSD/GNU/Linux based OSes by default until another 4-5 years minimal :@

It would be great if enabling/Installing an MP3 Encoder was easy on PC-BSD
hehehe. MP3 may be getting out dated but it's a bit more friendly to
portable CD Players supporting CDDA and MP3 ;-)

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com