[PC-BSD Testing] Friday snapshot

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Fri Aug 17 14:18:25 PDT 2007

Awesome, thanks for all the testing, Bill! Keep it up!

I'm almost finished downloading both CDs and then we'll try them on several
systems here at the office.

-matt

On Friday 17 August 2007 2:12 pm, Bill Leeper wrote:
> First the good news. I have got to say the installer is the best I have
> ever used and I have used a lot of them. From booting off the CD,
> installing the OS, and installing almost all the programs on the second
> CD, including the ports took right at 20 minutes. Na that includes the
> time to configure the video card and boot into a usable desktop.
>
> After that I had a couple of problems but part of that may have been my
> fault. When I attempted to run K3b a small black copyright box appeared
> in the middle of the screen and the application title in the task bar
> had a spinning hour glass which eventually went away and left the box in
> the middle of the screen.     (     (c) 1999-2007, Sebastian Trug    )
> I logged out and back in to get rid of the box and tried it again with
> the same result.
>
> Apparently it was looking for codecs which I finally figured out by
> leaving it alone for a few minutes. It then popped up a message:
>                 System Configuration problem
>                 mp3 Audio Decoder Plugin not found
>
> K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you
> will not be able to create Audio CD's from Mp3 files. Many Linux
> distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
> Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding
> library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may
> already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some
> distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update
> tool (i.e. SuSE's YOU).
>
> I have not seen this in any of the previous beta versions. On the plus
> side Amarok works flawlessly.
>

> One last comment. When I logged out and back in I left the USB flash
> drive plugged in. When I attempted to unmount it I got an error message
> saying it couldn't be unmounted. When I unplugged it my mouse froze and
> while attempting to close out the window with the keyboard it reset the
> computer instead.   :-)   I will attempt to duplicate the problem this
> evening if I get a chance. All in all, though, I am very satisfied with
> the beta. I don't even boot into my V1.3 drive anymore I just use the beta.
>
> Bill Leeper

Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source"  http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project         http://www.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop!                             http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113                     Fax: (408)943-4101