[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD v1.4 Beta, Bug in Custom Partitioning phase

Terry Poulin bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Wed Aug 15 19:06:25 PDT 2007

I'm using the PC-BSD v1.4 Beta (link was posted on the front page awhile
back) to set up a machine. As I normally do I went to setup custom
partitions. I had   over 9200MB free in the slice when I finished. Before
beginning the install phase (copying files to HDD) I chose to go back
several pages to double check my setup.

When I went forward again, I of course made sure every thing was *STILL*
in order. It's a Beta.... And I wouldn't trust it even if it was a release
(I'm paranoid). I noticed on the custom partitioning screen it showed a
-50xxx MB slice was about to be created. I.e. the slice it was told to
make was TO FRICKEN BIG !

I looked at the bsd partitions, every one was as I had made it -> except
for the root /

Instead of the 10240 MB I set it to, it was showing the entire 60-70 GB of
the slice. I don't know what effect this would've had on _formating_ the
disk. I set it back...

No clue how the Installer handles this, I have not looked at the code but
I bet some where in the routines that set up the custom partitioning
screen. It automatically set's the SWAP partition size and adds all the
remaining space in the slice to the / partition; Just my best guess of
course.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com