[PC-BSD Testing] Monday build bugs

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Wed Aug 15 08:26:18 PDT 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 02:47:29 -0300, Bill Leeper
> <protagonist at charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> This is strange. After installing and running the Monday build for a
>> few hours I noticed that the four desktops on the panel instead of
>> being pretty much square as they have been in the past were
>> elongated. So I right clicked on the desktop and selected the
>> configure desktop option in the menu. I selected the Multiple
>> Desktops option and it was set to one desktop. I set it to four and
>> clicked apply and I then had 24 desktops. I reset the number to one
>> and I now have 12 desktops. I can't seem to get it to reset to the
>> original four.
>> OK, after playing around a bit I have found out a bit more info. When
>> this happened I was running the Beryl Window Manager. If I turn off
>> Beryl and use the default Window manager I can get four desktops but
>> when I restart Beryl it goes back to 12. I have the desktop cube
>> activated in Beryl as well. Short of reinstalling I don't seem to be
>> able to get rid of the extra desktops. I will leave it as is until
>> the Friday build comes out in case anyone has any questions.
>> Bill Leeper
>

> I have this bug here too, but it seems it only happens when you
> change the
> window manager. So, when you restart the computer there are 4 virtual
> desktops. It's a Beryl bug I think. Also it seems that when you
> click one
> of the virtual desktops there are only 4 although it shows 24.

The numbers just don't seem to add up. Anyway, after getting it back
down to 12, I can open an application in, say, desktop 11 and rotate
through the desktops and it will take 12 rotations to return to that
desktop. Which would seem to indicate I actually have 12 desktops.
Have you found any way of getting rid of the extras short of
reinstalling?

Even with a few quirks, though, I find PC-BSD to be very stable and
also very fun to use. A lot of hard work has gone into it and it
really shows. After many years of working with computers running
Windows I was beginning to hate using them. OS X four years ago and
PC-BSD almost a year ago have brought the fun back into computing for
me.   :-)

Computers can be fun again
              Format C:\
    Alternatives are out there