[PC-BSD Testing] Can't install

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Aug 14 09:47:27 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 1:58 am, fbsd wrote:
> Kris Moore wrote:
> > fbsd wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> My current most urgent problem is that the 6 August 2007 snapshot does
> >> not detect the hard disk available when opting for a fresh
> >> install. This problem first surfaced on the last snapshot I tried (27
> >> July 2007). Prior to that I had no problems.
> >>
> >> I was able to install the
> >> 27/07/07 snapshot by selecting System Update/Repair. The disk partitions
> >> were then detected and I backed out and selected Fresh Install and voila
> >> the disk partitions were shown. That trick does not work with the
> >> 06/08/07 snapshot.
> >>
> >> So at the moment, I can't install.
> >>
> >> I tried to install PC-BSD 1.3 and it worked just fine so the problem has
> >> to lie with a recent change to the installer.
> >>
> >> Does anyone else have this problem?

We can confirm this problem on a Toshiba laptop here that is running 1.3.x.
When we go to install fresh dev snapshot from last Friday, the disk isn't
seen. If we click Upgrade, there it is!

-matt

> >> Ron

> >> !DSPAM:1,46bfac9020761396325951!
> >
> > Ron,
> >
> > Can you give me a bit more detail about this error? First of all, what
> > type of hardware do you have. IDE / SCSI / SATA? More than one drive?
> > Also try this:
> >
> > Download the latest snapshot:
> > http://dev.pcbsd.org
> >
> > Then boot to the GUI installer, and right click on the desktop to bring
> > up xterm. Next run this command:
> >
> > /usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh
> >
> > Does it echo out any drive or drives found?
>
> Kris,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> My computer is an ASUS A8JS laptop with one SATA hard disk.
>
> I downloaded the lastest snapshot (13-08-07). Problems persists.
>
> Running "/usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh" gets the response
> "/usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh: 13: Syntax error:
> Unterminated quoted string"
>
> I am no programmer but I had a quick look at the script. The comment at
> the beginning of
> the second section "If we couldn't find anything in the dmesg file, look
> for devices
> instead" is not commented out. This probably isn't the real problem but
> it might prevent
> the second part of the script from running.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ron

Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source"  http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project         http://www.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop!                             http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113                     Fax: (408)943-4101