[PC-BSD Testing] Can't install

fbsd fbsd at aanet.com.au
Tue Aug 14 01:58:52 PDT 2007

Kris Moore wrote:
> fbsd wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My current most urgent problem is that the 6 August 2007 snapshot does
>> not detect the hard disk available when opting for a fresh
>> install. This problem first surfaced on the last snapshot I tried (27 July
>> 2007). Prior to that I had no problems.
>>
>> I was able to install the
>> 27/07/07 snapshot by selecting System Update/Repair. The disk partitions
>> were then detected and I backed out and selected Fresh Install and voila
>> the disk partitions were shown. That trick does not work with the 06/08/07
>> snapshot.
>>
>> So at the moment, I can't install.
>>
>> I tried to install PC-BSD 1.3 and it worked just fine so the problem has to lie
>> with a recent change to the installer.
>>
>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Ron

>> !DSPAM:1,46bfac9020761396325951!
>>

> Ron,
>
> Can you give me a bit more detail about this error? First of all, what
> type of hardware do you have. IDE / SCSI / SATA? More than one drive?
> Also try this:
>
> Download the latest snapshot:
> http://dev.pcbsd.org
>
> Then boot to the GUI installer, and right click on the desktop to bring
> up xterm. Next run this command:
>
> /usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh
>
> Does it echo out any drive or drives found?

Kris,

Thanks for the reply.

My computer is an ASUS A8JS laptop with one SATA hard disk.

I downloaded the lastest snapshot (13-08-07). Problems persists.

Running "/usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh" gets the response
"/usr/local/pcbsd/scripts/PCBSD.FindDisk.sh: 13: Syntax error:
Unterminated quoted string"

I am no programmer but I had a quick look at the script. The comment at
the beginning of
the second section "If we couldn't find anything in the dmesg file, look
for devices
instead" is not commented out. This probably isn't the real problem but
it might prevent
the second part of the script from running.

Hope this helps

Ron