[PC-BSD Testing] A few more issues

Matthew - Secondary syris2k4 at mweb.co.za
Thu Aug 2 15:43:13 PDT 2007

Kris Moore wrote:
> Take a look here:
>
> http://xinehq.de/index.php/features
>
> It appears that they support some formats such as WMV 7&8, Sorrenson /
> Quicktime and others right out of box. Its possible that they are just
> the re-written implementation of these codecs and not the real ones from
> MS / Apple. I'm not sure of the legal implications of that. Anybody know
> off hand?

Just a short thing on it : xine uses ffmpeg/livavcodec to decode the
various things mentioned. As such libavcodec supports a lot of the
closed or protected formats in a basic capability. The same way that you
can use ffdshow in windows to decode wm7-9 (9 is flakey) and all the
others. So no, there are no codecs that have been stolen or anything
like that.

Be aware also that this is very basic support and it will often not work
with whatever clip you are trying to view - that will require the real
codecs :) but its getting good really quickly, not sure when xine will
allow wmv9 playback but it wont be too long :)

Regards,
 Matthew