[PC-BSD Testing] A few more issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Aug 1 23:10:40 PDT 2007

Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
>   - The "Extract" option in the contextual menu disappeared when you
> right-click a zipped file

I can't duplicate this here :(

>   - If I double-click a video located on a remote samba share, Kaffeine
> says it doesn't have the required codecs. Now, if I copy the video to my
> desktop and double-click it, Kaffeine plays it nicely

Interesting, I'm not sure if this is a Kaffeine issue, or something we
can change in KDE.

>   - It seems there are patented codec libraries on the default install,
> because if I don't have codecs installed, I'm still able to play WMV
> videos.

Take a look here:

http://xinehq.de/index.php/features

It appears that they support some formats such as WMV 7&8, Sorrenson /
Quicktime and others right out of box. Its possible that they are just
the re-written implementation of these codecs and not the real ones from
MS / Apple. I'm not sure of the legal implications of that. Anybody know
off hand?

http://www.pcbsd.com