[PC-BSD Support] ZFS Mirror Booting Question

Fred Schlechter freds at vailsys.com
Tue Sep 24 07:59:49 PDT 2013

On 09/23/2013 19:11, Randy Schultz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Fred Schlechter spaketh thusly:
>
> -}I installed PC-BSD 9.2 on a workstation which has
> -}two identical SATA hard-drives (ada0 and ada1).
> -}During the installation I selected the zfs-mirror option.
> -}
> -}Are both hard-drives now bootable?
>
> The disks are identical, the system can be booted from either.
>
> If you've never done this, I would recommend messing around with pulling a
> drive then putting it back in and rebuilding the mirror so you are familiar
> with the commands.  It's actually kinda fun and not difficult to do.
>
> --
>   Randy    (schulra at earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>
>
> Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
>       - Siddhartha Gautama

When you use the mirror or raidz options, the boot sectors are stamped
on each disk, so if ada0 fails you should be able to just remove it and
boot normally again. -- Kris Moore

Randy/Kris,

Thank you for the clear answers to my question.

I didn't think that the boot sector was installed onto
both disks but apparently it is.

Mr. Moore, I'm using 9.2 and it gets better with every
release. Thanks for all the work you put into this.