[PC-BSD Support] Grass software won't load

Edward Lukacs lukacsem at verizon.net
Sun Sep 1 08:10:32 PDT 2013

I am running PC-BSD 9.1 on a Compaq Presario with a Sempron processor.
Virtually all software loaded via AppCafe seems to install and run
perfectly, but for a very few items.  The worst of these is Grass.  I
have downloaded it using AppCafe, both as user and root, and in every
case AppCafe seems to install it  and terminate properly.  The problem
is that it totally disappears!  I have looked through the computer and
the only files that I can find are in /usr/ports/databases/grass.

This directory and its subdirectories seem to hold the source-code, make
and configure files, so I said "what the hell", and decided that if
AppCafe was in some way not doing its job, I would do it myself.  So I
made configure and then made all.  Apparently, grass's Makefile tried to
make every routine that grass depends upon.  So GCC, etc, went wild,
running, with occasional prodding, for about two hours until it barfs
while trying to compile gdal (/usr/ports/graphics/gdal), producing error
codes 1 and 2.

I have written simple C, Fortran77 and FTN7X programs, and a few shell
and Perl scripts and over the years I have ported many programs across
operating systems successfully, but this is way over my head.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

--
He who possesses virtue and intelligence, who is just, speaks the truth, and does what is his own business, him the world will hold dear.
-- from  The Buddha and his Dhamma by Dr. B.R.Ambedka