[PC-BSD Support] PC-BSD and UEFI and GPT and MS Windows 8

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Mon Oct 14 07:25:58 PDT 2013

>In the research that I had done about this, I had found the following material.
>
>At
>http://bsdnews.net/announcefoundation-announces-uefi-support-project/
>is
>
>"
>The FreeBSD Foundation is pleased to announce that Benno Rice has been
>awarded a grant to implement the ability to boot FreeBSD in the
>Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot environment.
>
>The work to be done includes a new version of the loader, kernel
>modifications to support starting from a UEFI environment and the
>ability to create install media for pure UEFI systems.
>
>?UEFI support is critical for FreeBSD?s future on the amd64 platform
>and I?m really pleased to be able to ensure that FreeBSD gains support
>for it,? said Benno.
>
>This project is expected to be completed in March 2013.
>
>Post Published: 05 March 2013
>"
>

>I think an error may exist, regarding the post publishing date, and
>its relationship to the expected date of completion of the project.
>
>But, because of what I understand to be the relationship between
>FreeBSD and PC-BSD, I assume that a development such as the one
>mentioned in that article, would impact on PC-BSD.
>
>Please advise regarding that, and, whether anything is known of any
>progress in the project "to implement the ability to boot FreeBSD in
>the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot environment".

Just to clarify regarding Foundation sponsored Projects. Work that occurs happens either in HEAD or in a projects area that gets committed to HEAD by the end of the project completion. This means that this project should be in 10 (which was HEAD at that time), and assuming that it is accepted as stable enough to include in a release, should be in 10.0-RELEASE. I haven't kept up with commit messages to see if it is slated to be in 10.0 RELEASE, so perhaps Kris would know the answer to that one. If it is slated, there should be images soon as Kris is working on the first batch of 10.0 images.

Cheers,

Dru