[PC-BSD Support] Support Digest, Vol 72, Issue 4

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:21:10 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013, Jacob . D <frag-artists at cox.net> wrote:

<snip>

> to be honest you don't need more than 8GB of RAM for day to day use ,
> unless your doing some thing intensive like 3D modeling/video/audio
> editing , and it would  not need to be of a frequency higher than
> 1333MHZ CL-8 which is what most DDR-3 sdram modules come with.

That is all very well and good in theory, but, we have malware such as
javascript and websites that otherwise use client-side processing,
rather than more properly written server-side processing (client-side
processing, being, to me, improper and malicious), and, with
applications such as web browsers that do not release used resources
(including memory), when the browser windows are closed, and that do
not (despite settings that say otherwise) prevent unwanted pop-ups
that continuously downloaded unwanted rubbish, a computer with an i3
processor, and 8GB of RAM, is simply inadequate for web browsing, when
it consistently runs out of resources, and consequently freezes or
crashes, due to the malicious web sites that use javascript and
client-side processing and unwanted pop-ups.

"
:~$ top

top - 14:07:45 up 23 days, 23:17,  3 users,  load average: 2.80, 2.79, 2.53
Tasks: 196 total,   2 running, 194 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 10.7%us,  0.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 70.0%id, 18.2%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   8059956k total,  8007720k used,    52236k free,     1576k buffers
Swap: 42860340k total, 10844976k used, 32015364k free,    53204k cached
"

It is unusual, for this system to be able to keep running for as long
as 23 days. It usually needs rebooting, every week or so. Amongst
other things, the system swappiness setting, does not work.

So, for web browsing, I need a more powerful system, with much more
RAM; about 32GB.

Unfortunately, it is the way that software development, including web
site development, has gone - as resources have become cheaper, so also
has the development (more cheap and nasty), and, the software has
become increasingly less efficient and increasingly less effective.

So, hopefully, PC-BSD, on a more powerful computer (and, going back to
the topic, new computers, especially "notebook" computers, that
provide for 32GB RAM, use UEFI/GPT, and, I believe, GPT, without
"secure booting", would help with setting up a system with a BSD
installation), would work better than what I have now.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."