[PC-BSD Support] PC-BSD and UEFI and GPT and MS Windows 8

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 22:45:24 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013, Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne at att.net> wrote:

>>Hello.
>>
>>I have read of problems with trying to instal operating systems as
>>dual and multiple boot scenario's with MS Windows 8. Reference has
>>been made to the "secure boot" obstruction to installing operating
>>systems other than MS Windows 8.
>>
>>In doing a little research, I have found that MS Windows 8
>>(apparently) uses UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT, and does not use
>>MBR's, and that the architecture of UEFI and / or GPT, instead of
>>being limited to 4 primary partitions, allows up to 128 partitions,
>>and does not differentiate between primary and non-primary partitions
>>(which should, in theory, be helpful in installing PC-BSD, with its
>>need for installation in a primary partition, where the older MBR
>>system is used, if PC-BSD can thence be installed on a UEFI / GPT
>>system).
>>
>>I wonder then, whether PC-BSD (especially, the latest version, 9.2)
>>has been installed on one of these UEFI/GPT based MS Windows 8
>>systems, as a dual-boot or multiple boot system, and, if so, whether
>>any installation instructions relating to installing PC-BSD on a MS
>>Windows 8, UEFI/GPT based system, as a dual or multiple boot system,
>>are published, and, if so, do those instructions include how to
>>determine whether the "secure boot" obstruction is set to stop
>>installation of non-MS Windows 8 operating systems, or, how to get
>>around the "secure boot" obstruction, so as to allow PC-BSD to be
>>installed?
>

> I have one of these systems. I was able to get it to install by playing
> around in the BIOS, but it was unable to boot afterwards either as a
> dual-boot or single-boot system. Kris and I need to get together to see what
> is needed to get the hardware to boot from GRUB. So for now, afaik, this
> doesn't work yet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Hello.

In the research that I had done about this, I had found the following material.

At
http://bsdnews.net/announcefoundation-announces-uefi-support-project/
is

"
The FreeBSD Foundation is pleased to announce that Benno Rice has been
awarded a grant to implement the ability to boot FreeBSD in the
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot environment.

The work to be done includes a new version of the loader, kernel
modifications to support starting from a UEFI environment and the
ability to create install media for pure UEFI systems.

“UEFI support is critical for FreeBSD’s future on the amd64 platform
and I’m really pleased to be able to ensure that FreeBSD gains support
for it,” said Benno.

This project is expected to be completed in March 2013.

Post Published: 05 March 2013
"

I think an error may exist, regarding the post publishing date, and
its relationship to the expected date of completion of the project.

But, because of what I understand to be the relationship between
FreeBSD and PC-BSD, I assume that a development such as the one
mentioned in that article, would impact on PC-BSD.

Please advise regarding that, and, whether anything is known of any
progress in the project "to implement the ability to boot FreeBSD in
the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot environment".

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale