[PC-BSD Support] TrueOS 9.2 with UFS boot?

james james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Wed Oct 9 15:08:47 PDT 2013

What happens if I *don't* faff around and update my boot drives?

I have my boot drive as a RAID1 on a PERC5i.  I'm pretty happy with it,
certainly not unhappy-enough to want to mess around trying to refit as
JBOD and ZFS, even if that would be what I'd choose for a fresh install.

Originally this was a FreeBSD system.

I used the instructions at
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn_FreeBSD_into_PC-BSD%C2%AE#Converting_FreeBSD_to_a_TrueOS.C2.AE_Server
and switched the packagesite etc.

But now I am on 9.1-RELEASE/amd64.

The link above suggests editing packagesite to point to
9.2-RELEASE/amd64 if I am on FreeBSD and want to use the new repository.

Can I still just do that - and switch to 9.2 goodness without having to
pick up the new boot environment stuff?

If it is really required to upgrade, is there a magic utility that will
squirrel away the local changes made for me (including /usr/local, the
rc.conf, sysctl.conf etc I guess) and restore after a fresh install?  I
have lots of space on a ZFS pool on a RAIDZ drive set that I can export
and reimport after install.  I hope an install would leave it alone.

James