[PC-BSD Support] PC-BSD and UEFI and GPT and MS Windows 8

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Wed Oct 9 14:27:46 PDT 2013

>Hello.
>
>I have read of problems with trying to instal operating systems as
>dual and multiple boot scenario's with MS Windows 8. Reference has
>been made to the "secure boot" obstruction to installing operating
>systems other than MS Windows 8.
>
>In doing a little research, I have found that MS Windows 8
>(apparently) uses UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT, and does not use
>MBR's, and that the architecture of UEFI and / or GPT, instead of
>being limited to 4 primary partitions, allows up to 128 partitions,
>and does not differentiate between primary and non-primary partitions
>(which should, in theory, be helpful in installing PC-BSD, with its
>need for installation in a primary partition, where the older MBR
>system is used, if PC-BSD can thence be installed on a UEFI / GPT
>system).
>
>I wonder then, whether PC-BSD (especially, the latest version, 9.2)
>has been installed on one of these UEFI/GPT based MS Windows 8
>systems, as a dual-boot or multiple boot system, and, if so, whether
>any installation instructions relating to installing PC-BSD on a MS
>Windows 8, UEFI/GPT based system, as a dual or multiple boot system,
>are published, and, if so, do those instructions include how to
>determine whether the "secure boot" obstruction is set to stop
>installation of non-MS Windows 8 operating systems, or, how to get
>around the "secure boot" obstruction, so as to allow PC-BSD to be
>installed?

I have one of these systems. I was able to get it to install by playing around in the BIOS, but it was unable to boot afterwards either as a dual-boot or single-boot system. Kris and I need to get together to see what is needed to get the hardware to boot from GRUB. So for now, afaik, this doesn't work yet.

Cheers,

Dru