[PC-BSD Support] Sound settings aren't saved after reboot.

Ted Hatfield ted at io-tx.com
Mon Feb 18 00:32:18 PST 2013

After some advice from another forum member I've gotten closer to
diagnosing the problem as well as creating a work-around.

First of all the sound configuration utility in the PCBSD control panel
sets the hw.snd.default_unit=0 value in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Unfortunately this setting does not stick.  When I reboot the machine and
login to the desktop the sysctl value is changed back to
hw.snd.default_unit=3.

This means one of two things.  The value is never changed when sysctl is
run during the RC, or the value is changed somtime after sysctl is loaded.

If you can tell me how to stop pcbsd from calling startx, I'll see if the
sysctl variable is changed before or after x loads.

My workaround was to create a script that calls
sudo /sbin/sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0
and then add the script in my .xprofile.

Can someone verify that I need to use sudo to change the sysctl variable
or can you change that variable with user privileges.  I couldn't find the
privilege level required to change particular sysctl kernel variables
anywhere in the documentation.

Thanks,

Ted Hatfield