[PC-BSD Support] Support Digest, Vol 59, Issue 1

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 15:16:12 PDT 2012

Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I note that, from what I have read thus far about PC-BSD 9.1, it
> will only offer KDE and LXDE as defalt desktops;
>
> "
> Systems containing more than 2GB of RAM will default to the KDE
> desktop and all other systems will default to the LXDE desktop.
> "
>
> Does this mean that GNOME will not be able to be set as the default
> desktop?

Actually, this is simply an automated choice of default (determined by some
quality of the machine to be installed upon). It will pre-select between
those two supported desktops during install, but for better or ill, the
user may still modify or choose alternatives. Another automated choice of
default relates to ZFS as the filesystem, which I believe is determined by
two things- 64bit and greater than 2GB RAM, but the criteria for ZFS has
changed from beta to rc1, and may change again for rc2 and final release.

I wish you success in your endeavors!