[PC-BSD Support] Query about PC-BSD 9.1 and multiple booting

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 01:23:00 PDT 2012

Hello.

I am wondering whether PC-BSD 9.1 will come with GRUB (version 2?)
included, and automatically configure it, or, be able to automatically
configure an existing installation of GRUB, so that GRUB will
automatically find PC-BSD and offer it as an option, in providing
multiple boot options.

I have been running Debian Linux; on another computer, I have Debian 5
installed, in addition to Debian 6 (the multifunction printer
software, apparently, instals on 5, but not on 6), and, on this
computer, I also have Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux installed.

On the other computer, and HP/Compaq NX5000, I had installed also
PC-BSD 9, but, when it rebooted, no option was available to boot into
PC-BSD 9, and I have not been able to get PC-BSD 9 as an option in the
installed GRUB on that computer.

Thus, while I have managed to instal PC-BSD 9, on a computer that has
other operating systems installed, I cannot boot into PC-BSD 9, as it
is not found by, and, I cannot get the bootloader configured to find
it with, GRUB.

So, I am wondering whether, when PC-BSD 9.1 is released, it will
incorporate GRUB so as to enable, in such a way, or otherwise cause,
GRUB to find and offer PC-BSD as a boot option, as I have been unable
to achieve that, and now have an inaccessible installation of PC-BSD
9.

Also, I note that, from what I have read thus far about PC-BSD 9.1, it
will only offer KDE and LXDE as defalt desktops;

"
Systems containing more than 2GB of RAM will default to the KDE
desktop and all other systems will default to the LXDE desktop.
"

Does this mean that GNOME will not be able to be set as the default desktop?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale