[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:22:30 PDT 2012

On 26/03/2012, Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne at att.net> wrote:

>> gets
>> hangs, with a
>> the screen
>> >
>> > Hi Bret,
>> >
>> > Does it always hang in the same spot? If so, where?
>> >
>> > Did you change any of the defaults during the install
>> (e.g. custom disks)?
>> > Which window manager(s) and system components did you
>> select? You're
>> > installing on the 20GB primary? Is it the primary or a
>> secondary disk?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Dru
>> >

>> Hello.
>>
>> I think that it does not get to the stage of offering
>> options.
>>
>> Where I have tried to instal it, is partition 2 (sda2) of
>> the primary
>> partition on the single hard disk drive. That partition is a
>> 20GB (of
>> a 160GB HDD), which I figure would be adequate.
>>
>> I think that the last thing that I saw before the display
>> went to
>> showing only the blinking cursor on the blank screen, is a
>> line about
>> xorg, but I will need to run it again, to check.
>>
>> I am not sure, but, from memory, I saw a message sometime
>> ago, about
>> the initial version of PC-BSD 9 not including a driver for
>> the
>> particular graphics adapter, or for inbuilt graphics
>> adapters, and
>> that PC-BSD 9.0 is designed for, or, runs best on (or
>> something like
>> that) the Nvidia graphics adapters, and not yet for Intel
>> inbuilt
>> graphics adapters. The link for the specifications that I
>> previously
>> posted, show the computer chipset as being Intel 855GM ,
>> with graphics
>> being
>> "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64 MB of
>> shared system
>> memory for graphics "
>> and
>> "Graphics adapter/card  Intel 855GM".
>>
>> In checking the particular model variant identifier (for
>> want of a
>> better name), it starts with Cnx5000U, which indicates that
>> it has the
>> NX5000 standard graphics adaptor, as specified above.
>>
>> As to the last thing that it displays before the blank
>> screen with the
>> flashing cursor, I will have to check that.
>

> It does sound like that it is hanging at the video configuration. Does
> selecting "Boot with X in VESA mode" at the boot menu make a difference?

Yes, that did it.

I seem to have installed it, using that option.

The problem is, having installed it on a system with Debian 6.03
installed, I now have to figure out how to get the GRUB loader to seek
and find the PC-BSD installation and to include PC-BSD as a boot
option, so that I can boot into it, as the Finish (of the PC-BSD
installation) reboots the computer, but does not update the GRUB menu,
or offer a multiple boot option.

So, I have to figure this out so that I can boot into it.

One issue that arose during the installation; when I got to the
"Instal from CD/DVD" or "Instal from the Internet" choice, when I
selected the "Instal from the Internet" option, which I believe would
have supplied any updated components and possibly a wider range of
components, the choices that it offered, were
DHCP <something>
DHCP<something>
IPV6 with SLAAC (?)
Intel <something>
Broadcom <something>

, and, as none seemed appropriate (the LAN here uses static IPV4
addresses) and IPV4 was not offered, I had to select the "Instal from
CD/DVD" option, which may not have been as good as installing from the
Internet.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale