[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Mon Mar 26 06:30:19 PDT 2012

> >> I downloaded the DVD and tried to instal it, but it
> gets
> >> part way
> >> through the installation process and then just
> hangs, with a
> >> blinking
> >> cursor in the top left corner of the screen, and
> the screen
> >> otherwise
> >> blank, requiring a reboot and the removal of the
> >> installation disc.
> >
> > Hi Bret,
> >
> > Does it always hang in the same spot? If so, where?
> >
> > Did you change any of the defaults during the install
> (e.g. custom disks)?
> > Which window manager(s) and system components did you
> select? You're
> > installing on the 20GB primary? Is it the primary or a
> secondary disk?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dru
> >

> Hello.
>
> I think that it does not get to the stage of offering
> options.
>
> Where I have tried to instal it, is partition 2 (sda2) of
> the primary
> partition on the single hard disk drive. That partition is a
> 20GB (of
> a 160GB HDD), which I figure would be adequate.
>
> I think that the last thing that I saw before the display
> went to
> showing only the blinking cursor on the blank screen, is a
> line about
> xorg, but I will need to run it again, to check.
>
> I am not sure, but, from memory, I saw a message sometime
> ago, about
> the initial version of PC-BSD 9 not including a driver for
> the
> particular graphics adapter, or for inbuilt graphics
> adapters, and
> that PC-BSD 9.0 is designed for, or, runs best on (or
> something like
> that) the Nvidia graphics adapters, and not yet for Intel
> inbuilt
> graphics adapters. The link for the specifications that I
> previously
> posted, show the computer chipset as being Intel 855GM ,
> with graphics
> being
> "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64 MB of
> shared system
> memory for graphics "
> and
> "Graphics adapter/card  Intel 855GM".
>
> In checking the particular model variant identifier (for
> want of a
> better name), it starts with Cnx5000U, which indicates that
> it has the
> NX5000 standard graphics adaptor, as specified above.
>
> As to the last thing that it displays before the blank
> screen with the
> flashing cursor, I will have to check that.

It does sound like that it is hanging at the video configuration. Does selecting "Boot with X in VESA mode" at the boot menu make a difference?

If you have the time to experiment, there is a testing snapshot that provides additional video support:

http://blog.pcbsd.org/2012/02/call-for-testers-gemkms-snapshot/

If you decide to test it, let us know if it resolves the issue.

Cheers,

Dru