[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Sun Mar 25 14:18:18 PDT 2012

On 03/24/2012 11:39 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 24/03/2012, Michael D. Norwick<mnorwick at centurytel.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/23/2012 01:57 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>> On 24/03/2012, Bret Busby<bret.busby at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> <snip again>
>>>
>> The issues you are experiencing have been common in my Linux and FreeBSD
>>
> <snip>
> I believe that the problems are different.

You mentioned that you didn't care about wireless on this device.  Are
you set on trying to get PCBSD running on it?  Maybe this is just a
learning exercise?

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility

which mentions; 'if you wish to check your hardware before installing
PC-BSD, a good place to start is the FreeBSD 9.0 Hardware Notes
<http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/index.html>. Another
good resource is to run PC-BSD in Live Mode
<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_Live_Mode>; that way you can
test your various devices before committing to an install.'

If this machine refuses to give you an X Windows session, been there
done that countless times.  If the PCBSD live dvd gives you an initial
install/run screen with all the graphics and eye-candy, it has found the
proper graphics hardware.  Something gets horked up during the install
and configuration.

Have you been able to abort X and return to a C.L.I. when the system is
at the 'flashing cursor' screen?

Michael

PS  my Dell has a similar Intel graphics subsystem and started PCBSD
isotope fine.  I had problems with the audio.  That is why it didn't stay.