[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:39:46 PDT 2012

On 24/03/2012, Michael D. Norwick <mnorwick at centurytel.net> wrote:
> On 03/23/2012 01:57 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 24/03/2012, Bret Busby<bret.busby at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>> <snip again>
>
> The issues you are experiencing have been common in my Linux and FreeBSD
> installations since 1993.  I currently have Kubuntu installed on a Dell
> Latitude D630 which has run other Debian variants as well as several of
> the 'BSD' distributions, including PC-BSD.  All of them seem to have had
> issues with the Intel graphics adapter and I was only able to get Debian
> GNU Linux started from the 'live' dvd on this machine.  The common error
> seemed to be when the operating system loads into memory, runs a script
> - Xorg --configure' (or something like it) to probe the video hardware,
> the system locks up and cannot continue on to a desktop.  In all cases
> where I have been successful (on the Dell), I have started from the
> basic install, (install a minimal system and configure from there).
> Then, once you know what it takes, reinstall the dual-boot
> configuration.  When you get the system up I would recommend running
> Windows as a guest on VirtualBox or vice-versa.  The only detractor to
> Windows performance (as a guest on VirtualBox) is how much physical ram
> the machine has.
>
> Michael

Hello.

The problems that I have had with the HP /Compaq NX5000 with Linux,
were with the wireless LAN device, and only with that (until the hard
drive failed).

Apart from the issue with the wireless LAN device, Ubuntu 8.04, Debian
4, Debian 5, and now, Debian 6.03, have installed and apparently run
without problems.

And I had had MS Windows XP Professional, Ubuntu Linux and Debian
Linux, able to boot from the GRUB boot menu, without problems, until
GRUB failed, which I believe was associated with the progressive hard
drive failure.

However, from what I have seen thus far, the problem with trying to
instal PC-BSD 9, appears to involve the graphics aspect, and I do not
yet know how PC-BSD reacts to the wireless LAN device.

I believe that the problems are different.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."